Cow hoof disease is a common, frequently-occurring disease with a long treatment time. It is one of the four major diseases that often occur in dairy cows. The hoof disease will not only affect the normal life of dairy cows, but also lead to the decline of the production performance of dairy cows. If it is not handled properly, it will even lead to the elimination of dairy cows, causing greater economic losses. According to statistical data, the average loss of each cow in dairy farms is 960-1900 yuan per year due to hoof disease. Next, we will introduce the causes of bovine hoof disease and the prevention and treatment methods of bovine hoof disease!
Causes of hoof disease:
- The enclosure is not clean and wet, and the hooves of cattle are soaked in dung for a long time.
- Friction caused by long-distance transportation and transfer of cattle ropes, stimulation caused by sharp objects, such as scratches on glass and iron wire, and cattle trampling on each other.
- The hoof of cattle is damaged and loses its protective ability by external mechanical force or chemical factors.
Clinical symptoms of bovine hoof disease:
The injured part bled and swelled, and then the skin of the affected part was moist, erosive, and excreted foul secretions. Prolonged time can cause local suppuration and ulceration, and there are often many purulent secretions under the scab. The skin and subcutaneous tissue are all damaged, the skin is highly hypertrophic, and the surface forms uneven large and small nipples.
Prevention and treatment of bovine hoof disease:
Preventive measures for bovine hoof disease:
- Hoof bath
The control of hoof disease and lameness is reliable and effective, and an effective measure recognized at home and abroad is hoof bath. The choice of effective hoof bath is the key to prevent, control and treat the incidence of hoof disease and obtain high yield during lactation
Common shoe bath methods: copper sulfate shoe bath method, formaldehyde shoe bath method
New shoe bath mode: large foot spray shoe bath system
- Nutritional regulation
The proportion of refined and coarse diet should be balanced, and the supply of high-quality coarse grains also requires the supply of appropriate trace elements and vitamins.
- Repair hoof
Repair the hoof regularly to keep the flatness of the hoof and prevent the excessive horniness of the hoof. The time of hoof repair is one time before dry milk and one time 150-180 days after delivery. While repairing the hoof, observe the ice to see if there is any problem with the hoof.
- Breeding selection
There is a certain relationship between hoof disease and heredity. The range of heritability of hoof disease is large, and the shape of hoof is also related to heredity. Therefore, bull semen with good limbs and less hoof disease should be selected for breeding selection.
Treatment measures for bovine hoof disease:
Cut the hair of the affected part, wash it with soapy water or bromogeramine, and take different treatment measures according to different conditions.
- Antiseptic, astringent and anti-exudative drugs at the beginning of the disease can be coated with gentian violet, 1% potassium permanganate solution, and fresh drugs can be coated with iodine tincture and bandaged.
- For purulent patients, 3% hydrogen peroxide, or 1% potassium permanganate, bromogeramine solution can be used to wash thoroughly to remove necrotic tissue and purulent secretion, and the affected part shall be covered with bandage soaked in iodine tincture after applying antibiotic ointment.
- In case of ulcer of the affected tissue and excessive hyperplasia of the skin tissue, the necrotic tissue can be removed first, the excessive proliferation can be removed, and the potassium permanganate powder or 10% copper sulfate can be used to corrode it to achieve the purpose of hemostasis, anti-inflammatory and astringency, and the excessive bleeding can be stopped by cauterization if necessary. In addition to local therapy, attention should be paid to systemic symptoms. When the affected part has obvious dysfunction, analgesia drugs can be injected intramuscularly and combined with procaine penicillin local blocking, or calcium chloride and other therapies can be used.
The above is the whole content of “The cause of bovine hoof disease, the prevention and treatment of bovine hoof disease!”! Ensure the cleanness of the bed and playground, ensure the smooth drainage of the playground, so as to inhibit the breeding of bacteria and effectively prevent hoof disease. Feet repair must be carried out at least twice a year, generally within 3 to 6 weeks before delivery, or within 120 days after delivery.